What is BioCorneum?
One treatment for scars used by Georgia Center for Sight is a product called bioCorneum®+. It is the first and only topical silicone scar treatment with SPF* that is cleared by the FDA. It is a patented, quick drying silicone gel that creates an invisible sheet of silicone over the scar. The invisible protective barrier is waterproof, breathable. It’s the only silicone treatment of its kind that will provide protection from the sun.
bioCorneum®+ hydrates scarred areas and create an environment which allows scars to mature through natural collagen synthesis cycles. It improves the physiological and cosmetic appearance of scars.
UV rays from sunlight have been shown to disrupt proper healing of scars. One feature truly unique to bioCorneum®+ is the SPF 30 UV protection ingredients which may protect the maturing scar from the darkening effects of sun exposure. bioCorneum®+ is the only patented silicone scar treatment of this kind.
Doctor Pittman’s scar management plan often incorporates the patented silicone formulation in bioCorneum®+ because it has been shown to help prevent abnormal scarring after procedures as well as help to smooth, soften, and flatten scars. The product will also reduce discoloration and relieve associated itch, pain and discomfort of scars.
- 1st and only patented blend of silicone with SFP 30 cleared by the FDA
- ONLY topical scar management product with over 2,000 patients in published clinical studies proving safety and efficacy
- Application is quick and simple
- Self-dries quickly to form an invisible, flexible silicone sheet
- Helps prevent abnormal scarring after surgery (cosmetic or medical); also works for scarring from all types of burns
- Soften and flattens raised scars
- Prevents discoloration caused by sun-exposure by incorporating sunscreen ingredients providing an SPF of 30
- Reduces redness and discoloration
- Relieves itch and discomfort associated with scar healing
- Water –resistant
- May be used on irregular surfaces as well as large area scars
- Makeup may be worn over